Friday 24 December 2010

I Do Not Get Neurotypical Jokes by Mark Parry.


It's 3am Xmas morning, and I am wide awake.  I wonder what Santa has brought me this year?  Ah, he's brought me some more knowledge about Autism.  He told me that when neurotypicals tell jokes, we cannot understand the punchlines of the jokes.  But when an Aspie tells a joke and becomes the joke, even after failing on the punchlines, the joke is still funny.  But Aspies usually become the joke in front of neurotypes.  This isn't fair on any Asperger-person.

There is an advert on TV that proves what I've been saying, all along.  The advert in question is The Range.  It features Ricky Tomlinson saying Don't Worry Santa, It's All Aranged.  I couldn't even understand the punchline of the joke.  This is exactly what happens, when Aspies don't get the joke.  I've never been able to understand, why us Aspies have big difficulties with neurtypical jokes.  Maybe it's because we live on different planets.  It's that damn cassette again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment